A shorter course but with more adventure? You got it… this one was submitted by local legend Greg Springborn and man does it deliver… you have farm roads, b-roads, all kinds of freshly graded gravel and even the dreaded decorative black rock of doom! Leave your 32 slicks at home… this final route is a 35-38mm minimum in my opinion… so gear up and let’s get it on!
ALERT: Route vs. Segment
The timed segment is almost the same as the route, so use State Rd along the parking lot as a good area to warm up…. See Route vs. Segment links below.
Pay attention to stop signs, yield signs, and make sure you are following the rules of the road. This includes respecting the local traffic and making sure you yield around any obstructed corners, even if you have the right of way.
I would recommend a minimum of 35-38mm or greater sized tires and tubeless is a plus. This course is rockier than previous courses and has several b-roads, so ride within your abilities, double-check your sealant pre-ride and have flat repair supplies on hand… all good things to check before most gravel adventures. The segment listed below is: The KOM is the Supreme Leader of the First Order.
You can park at Spring Lake Fish & Wildlife State Park, Manito, IL … there are some out houses but no open stores so hit the Casey’s in Manito on your way in for last minute needs. Please plan ahead and leave no garbage or signs of being there… thank you.
- A Greg Springborn original, Supreme Leader Snoke-born Attacks
- Sample ride recap on on RideSpot.org, good for one bonus raffle ticket: https://www.ridespot.org/rides/158263
The Strava Segment
- The KOM is the Supreme Leader of the First Order: https://www.strava.com/segments/24844982
Reminder: The Rules
- All rides need to be solo, no drafting as this is a challenge for fun during a time when social distancing is highly recommended for these four routes.
- Routes can be ridden as many times as you want, fastest time will be your entry.
- All routes are unmarked and all roads are open, so please follow the rules of the road and ride safely. By participating in this event, you are taking responsibility for your own safety.
- Helmets are cool & mandatory.
- Front and rear lights/blinkies are rad and recommended.
- Follow the rules of the road, safety is more valuable than seconds.