Are you ready to stretch out the legs, enjoy the ride, & push your distance? This route will be our longest yet at 41.5 miles and a timed segment of 38 miles… so more of a tempo or sweet spot effort vs that all out lactic acid vomit feel that we’ve all had on the 20 mile efforts! So off to Delavan, IL we go!
ALERT: Route vs. Segment
The timed segment is shorter than the route. In order to make the segment safer we will run you from Delavan High School through town, over some funky train tracks and then it’s game on!
So take your time rolling out from the school and prepare yourself for another long ride… I recommend two large water bottles or three standard… and ain’t no shame in running a CamelBak game if you wanna pack-it-up. The temps are cooking and so will you be once you hit the various types of gravel and ripping tarmac.
This route also featured two retired bridges, one is unsafe to cross so we we will run you right up to on our first out and back adventure… hence the flip a uie in the route name. Just make sure you slap the sign right where it says It’s Britney B!tch so Strava recognizes your distance before you turn around! (Also a perfect spot for a stop, bike drop and photo-op!)
After you slap a sign you will grind gravel back out and take on the nasty long road grind on Springfield Rd before getting to Dillon, IL. Once there you will stair step your way down on Dillon Rd to enjoy a graffiti bridge with a bonus single track climb out… so fun… and painful… so enjoy the fun part!
Then as you take on the gravel delight of Hilst Rd for the second time use your bike throw at the stop ahead sign before you reach Delavan Rd… and you’re done… now spin back in and think about all the fun you had, the two sweet bridges you saw and complain about how long the Springfield Rd climb is… I agree!
[ Route vs. Segment map to be posted shortly, compare links below if you’re antsy to dance in Delavan! ]
Pay attention to stop signs, yield signs, and make sure you are following the rules of the road. This includes respecting the local traffic and making sure you yield around any obstructed corners, even if you have the right of way.
I would recommend a minimum of 35mm or greater sized tires and tubeless is a plus. This course is rockier than previous courses, so ride within your abilities, double-check your sealant pre-ride and have flat repair supplies on hand… all good things to check before most gravel adventures. The segment listed below is: Delavan You’re My Only Hope.
You can park at Delavan High School.( 907 S Locust St, Delavan, IL 61734 ) Please plan ahead and leave no garbage or signs of being there… thank you. P.S. there is Casey’s Gas Station at 609 E 4th St, Delavan, IL 61734 for any last minute needs.
- A KOM Teller original with the local help of Doug Urbaniak
The Strava Segment
- Delavan You’re My Only Hope: https://www.strava.com/segments/24675656
Reminder: The Rules
- All rides need to be solo, no drafting as this is a challenge for fun during a time when social distancing is highly recommended for these four routes.
- Routes can be ridden as many times as you want, fastest time will be your entry.
- All routes are unmarked and all roads are open, so please follow the rules of the road and ride safely. By participating in this event, you are taking responsibility for your own safety.
- Helmets are cool & mandatory.
- Front and rear lights/blinkies are rad and recommended.
- Follow the rules of the road, safety is more valuable than seconds.