Early release on route number 2… just in time for all the rebel forces to strategize their plan of attack for this week/weekend.
Forecast is looking solid the next couple of days so what better plot twist than offering the same route in reverse for route number 2… do you do them back to back or stalk the winds for your one & done attack on each? Hmmm…
One Small Change To Note
The timed segment is shorter than the route this direction. In order to make it safer the segment will not start until the bottom of Crazy Cook Hill, so take your time getting down and then the segment will end before you hit Dee-Mac Rd. You’ve earned your cool-down by then, so take your time rolling back to the American Legion after you cross Dee-Mac Rd.
Once again route 2 is like 60-70% road, but it has some fun sections of gravel, challenging road climbs and a straight on running start up Schlappi. Pay attention to stop signs, yield signs, and make sure you are following the rules of the road. This includes respecting the local F150/Jeep traffic and making sure you yield around any obstructed corners, even if you have the right of way.
I would recommend a minimum of 32mm or greater sized tires and tubeless is a plus. The segment listed below is: Back To Alderaan.
You can park at the Deer Creek American Legion Post, but know it is not open to the public so plan ahead and please leave no evidence of being there(dumpster in back rear corner): 31473 American Legion Dr, Deer Creek, Illinois 61733
- The original planned course for the canceled Mackinaw Gravel Race: https://www.strava.com/routes/23446207
- Sample ride recap on on RideSpot.org, good for one bonus raffle ticket: https://www.ridespot.org/rides/158263
The Strava Segment
- Back To Alderaan: https://www.strava.com/segments/23811788
Reminder: The Rules
- All rides need to be solo, no drafting as this is a challenge for fun during a time when social distancing is highly recommended.
- Routes can be ridden as many times as you want, fastest time will be your entry.
- All routes are unmarked and all roads are open, so please follow the rules of the road and ride safely. By participating in this event, you are taking responsibility for your own safety.
- Helmets are cool & mandatory.
- Front and rear lights/blinkies are rad and recommended.
- Follow the rules of the road, safety is more valuable than seconds.