Routes 1 & 2 had you going up and down in the Deer Creek / Mackinaw area… and now we are going to flip the script!
This route in Maroa, IL comes from the evil gravel mastermind Kyle May from Spin City Cycles in Decatur… it is freaking flat and fast while being much closer to 60-70% gravel on this route. But don’t let the high speeds in the beginning fool ya,… you will hit one long soft slow section on E Duroc Rd that will have you dreaming of the finish, pizza, cold beer and wishing for lightspeed.
ALERT: Route vs. Segment
Just like route 2, the timed segment is shorter than the route. In order to make it safer the segment will not start until you turn right on Lake Fort Rd, so take your time rolling out from Crawford’s Pub to Lake Fort Rd, and then know the segment will end before you hit Rt 51… so save your bike throw until you hit the driveway of the two silos on your right(literally the only things on the right hand side that whole last stretch). You’ve earned your cool-down by then, so take your time rolling back to the Crawford’s by staying on the right shoulder of Rt. 51 for that short stretch back.
Pay attention to stop signs, yield signs, and make sure you are following the rules of the road. This includes respecting the local traffic and making sure you yield around any obstructed corners, even if you have the right of way.
I would recommend a minimum of 32mm or greater sized tires and tubeless is a plus. The segment listed below is: Meet Greedo at Crawford’s Cantina.
You can park on the sides or in back at the Crawford’s Pizza & Pub 535 S Wood St, Maroa, IL 61756, but know it is not open to the public other than curb side service, so plan ahead and please leave no evidence of being there. BUTTTTT…. you can order some pizza to go(Phone: 217-794-2700 / menu ), so think about planning ahead for a little curb side for after your ride… refuel, and recover for Route 04 up next!
FYI: A Casey’s gas station is right across the street for any last minute needs.
- A Kyle May original: Maroa 25 Multi Surface:
- Sample ride recap on on RideSpot.org, good for one bonus raffle ticket: https://www.ridespot.org/rides/158263
The Strava Segment
- Meet Greedo at Crawford’s Cantina: https://www.strava.com/segments/23927687
Reminder: The Rules
- All rides need to be solo, no drafting as this is a challenge for fun during a time when social distancing is highly recommended.
- Routes can be ridden as many times as you want, fastest time will be your entry.
- All routes are unmarked and all roads are open, so please follow the rules of the road and ride safely. By participating in this event, you are taking responsibility for your own safety.
- Helmets are cool & mandatory.
- Front and rear lights/blinkies are rad and recommended.
- Follow the rules of the road, safety is more valuable than seconds.